23/04/2013

sewing with company


Yesterday I threw caution to the wind and set aside the sewing of custom frocks in favour of spending the day sewing with a friend.  We’d been trying to organise such a day for weeks and when the stars finally aligned for us we grabbed the opportunity excitedly.  With our machines set up and a tea pot at the ready we got down to the business of sewing for our little ones. 

sewing 009
sewing 014

Kaizer was in dire need of some long winter pants so after a quick shop of my fabric stash I chose a lovely soft flannelette and the remains of a retro cotton sheet.  With the snip of my scissors and the whir of my machine, I whipped up two rather unique pair of vintage floral pants in no time.  I wasn’t too sure that I would get away with these fabrics but on trying them on Kaizer beamed at me and proceeded to tell me how ‘cool’ they were.  Win/win! and who am I to argue with the logic of a three year old?

sewing 013
sewing 018

Four pair of pants between us made for a most productive sewing session and reminded me yet again how wonderful a leisurely day of chatter, tea and sewing can be. 
 
floral pants

Doing some personal sewing was a much needed distraction but it’s back to the grind stone for me today.  Three customs to finish then I’m kicking up my heels and holidaying with the kids.

Been creating anything yourself lately? 


Tammi x

16 comments:

Modern Day Mummying said...

It's nice to have a crafty companion isn't it! I get together with my sisters and we have a few laughs over whirring machines. This week I've been sewing with my mamma - Mother's Day items for my sisters florist. I've also joined up with the Kids Clothes Week challenge this week, hoping to make a few things for Sunny! You and your friend should join up on it too!

Sophie xo

Miss Meg said...

It was a fabulous day!! Can't wait to do it again!!!

MWA

Naturally Carol said...

I'm glad you'll get to holiday as well...great pants too.

Greer said...

Ha! I'm yearning for some personal knitting! Love your pants. My children's wardrobes could do with a day like that here...

Norfolk Exposure said...

Now those pants are COOL!

Sally said...

I had a sewing day with a friend last week and it's a great way to spend a few hours. I started my first patchwork quilt, using woollen blankets which is still a WIP!! But I will finish it soon as it's getting colder and its for my daughters bed. S:)

freckleface said...

I like sewing but sewing with a chum would be much more fun. Love the trousers! x

Zara said...

Love the pants. Kaizer will be one well dressed little man.
x

Jodie Clarke said...

Aww...I can just see him in his lovely unique pants! And how wonderful to have a sewing day with a friend!
I have been able to get a few winter dresses and pants sewn for the twins in the last week and it has felt wonderful to actually get some sewing completed for a change!!

Bron said...

Kaizer will be really stepping out in his new strides...sounds like a lovely day for you both. xx

Diary of a Flutter.Kat said...

So glad you had a chance to do some personal sewing!! Hope you are getting through that to-do list and can take a much needed rest soon
xx

Tania said...

They are absolutely gorgeous Tammi! You are so lucky to have a fellow sewing friend to sew with. Though I have been known to spend the day like that with my mum :)
I'm planning to go through the kids cupboards in the next few days and work out what is wanting in their wardrobes. Let's hope they are in need of at least a few handmade pieces. ps- can't wait to see what you're knitting up or at least a progress shot :)

mel @ loved handmade said...

Those pants are absolutely gorgeous!! Have fun with your kiddos..x

Catherine said...

This sounds like such a nice day, sewing with company is much nicer than doing it alone. Those little pants are so cute Tammi and how Kaizer said they were cool, what a sweetie. xx

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh they are SO gorgeous Tammi and totally cool as for a groovy little man like Kaizer. They just melt your heart when they love the things you make for them, Angus is always so lovely about the tees I make for him, bless him. What a great day sewing with a friend, good on you for doing something so lovely for the soul xo

Em said...

I love what you produced that day - the next day will have to be in my studio! xx