19/04/2013

in my kitchen {pancakes}

stuff 032  

For as far back as I can remember, breakfast has been a daily routine of mine and is the one meal that I never skip. As a child our first meal of the day was pretty run of the mill...we had either cereal {weetibx} or toast and I was your typical weetbix kid. I loved the stuff and would eat it like it was going out of fashion, at any time of the day or night...by the bowl full with hot or cold milk, as a base slathered with butter and jam/marmite or my all time favourite 'weetbix toastie' which was crushing a bix over a hot slice of buttered and jammed toast, adding a few slivers of butter to the top and grilling till golden. My nine year old self thought that was heaven on a plate my older self thinks it totally cringe worthy!  

The weekends were a little more indulgent, especially when we stayed with our Grandparents. Their typical weekend brunch was either bacon, chips and eggs, kidneys on toast or the ultimate in luxury was when Pop brought home some fresh honeycomb dripping with it’s sweet nectar which we'd smear on hot scones.  Breakfast with our grandparents were always a grand affair.  Oh those were the days.

As a grown up I still enjoy a sit down breakfast but one that includes a lot more variety. It doesn't have to be a fancy affair, a simple smoothie, eggs any which way or a bowl of granola or yoghurt with fruit will suffice though I won't say no to a plate of waffles, pancakes or French toast.

Which brings me to these pancakes.  Last year in an attempt to clean up our diet I immersed myself into the world of real, whole food and started taste-testing an array of recipes.  My kitchen became my classroom as I explored alternative ways to cook our favoured foods.  Weekends are the only time we get to sit down to breakfast together as a family so pancakes were at the top of the list.  These banana oat pancakes were the first variation we tried and they were, as our ten year old described, 'lip smacking good!'  The use of oat flour was an entirely new concept to me and I was a little worried that the pancakes would be a little on the heavy side so was pleasantly surprised at how light and fluffy they actually were and was even more impressed that everyone loved them.  This recipe is a great base that can easily be adapted to suit your tastes, don’t be afraid to play around with the ingredients.

Recipe found here

What does breakfast look like in your home?


Tammi x




13 comments:

Catherine said...

I wish my breakfast looked as delicious as yours:) My breakfast is a bowl of granola (Heather's Recipe) and some natural yoghurt on top but as it cools down I've been enjoying some porridge with maple syrup and a bit of raw milk. I hope your weekend is a lovely one. xx

Kim H said...

Those pancakes look and sound delish and I'm so going to make them, Tammi. But I am left feeling queezy thinking about your weetbix toasty. Ugh! Not a yummy sounding at all, lovey:) When I saw that you put marmite on them I felt a lot more normal cos we used to put promite and butter on ours. Ugh. The things we did as kids, huh? Hey, I thought only Aussie kids were weetbix kids??? LOL

freckleface said...

Those pancakes really do look lip smackingly good! I might have to try them. xx

Naturally Carol said...

Bananas and pancakes..a delicious match. I'd love to have a go at those, now just to find some oat flour. I've never bought that before.

Katrina@capturingmomentss said...

My breakfast doesn't look this good! Mine is oats with almonds and cinnamon :-)
I have nominated your blog for the Liebster Award. To read more about it you can go here: http://capturingmomentss.blogspot.com.au/2013/04/liebster-award.html

xx Katrina

motherwho said...

We have bred a fierce three year old porridge lover... So much so that we are currently having a LOT of trouble getting her to even consider eating something else for breakfast! My husband made quinoa porridge during the week but she was not fooled :( I must admit, I didn't much like the quinoa porridge either. Pancakes, however, are the exception - she will eat pancakes on the weekend so we try to slip these in on a sunday morning to spice things up a bit. We like ours with yoghurt, berries, maple syrup, lemon, honey... all the naughty things. Yours look delicious!

Brenda @ Mira Narnie said...

oh those pancakes look divine!! I love breakfast with a bit of effort...the weekday mornings seem to go in hurry that it's nice to just sit with the family with a good stack of pancakes!! xx

Kym Piez said...

Like you, we NEVER miss breakfast! I love a cooked breakfast - porrige, eggs, pancakes, french toast. And love the staples, muesli with yoghurt and fruit, bircher with chia, and lots of smoothies! I am actually looking for some more healthy pancake recipes. I do have just one, but oat flour sure does sound low GI and long lasting!

Oh, and breakfast is my favourite meal of the day ;) x

Evangelines Jumble of ideas said...

YUMMY!! they look sooo! good must try them. I love a cooked breakfast keeps me going all day. Pancakes made with buckwheat are nice there a bit on the heavy side but very filling. :) Meza

Meghan Silva said...

breakfast is really such a fun meal , my breakfast changes from day to day, those pancakes look delicious.

Meghan Silva's Blog

Jodie Clarke said...

These look so yummy...I usually have oats and it's funny that I read this post today as I just wrote about our difficult breakfast times at the moment! Smoothies have become my sanity saviour lately!

Bekka Joy said...

Oh yum! They look good! We've had pancakes the last few days for breakfast here! First apple/cinnamon then this morning banana!! :) I need to do the groceries!! hehe! But won't argue with pancakes again tomorrow before I go! :)

Mama of 2 boys said...

Oh WOWZERS Tammi! Breakfast with your grandparents sounded incredible. These pancakes look delicious... breakfast in our home looks a lot more bland and simple, with some fresh fruit, yoghurt, muesli and occasionally a couple of slices of toast xo